Sunday, August 5, 2012

Compassion...

At church today the pastor spoke about Compassion… how it is a response to the cries of real needs… how being compassionate is not comfortable, but is necessary… how compassion is an expression of Love for others, even when loving is hard…


I met a little friend in need this week… a little wild turtle...


I had seen him on an asphalt path, looking dead (head half out of shell & very still)… I didn't want him getting crushed so I decided to move him off the pathway, I also wanted to see if he was alive (and yes, he was very much alive)…


I had also noticed there was something on his back that looked like a dropping of some sort… so after he was in the grass I tried to gently push it off with a twig… and he Hissed at me - very loudly!!  Later I discovered that this is a growth - I suspected it when he hissed, but when I looked at the above picture full sized (double click on the picture) I could tell by the coloration & texture that it was some sort of growth (my heart is sad for him).


He ran away from me (yes ran - he was fast for a little guy) toward a swampy area, and I said a little prayer for God to protect his young fragile life.

I got thinking a bit about this turtle… It was easy to be compassionate toward him even though he hissed at me because I knew I probably hurt & scared him… What's amazing is how difficult it can be to be compassionate toward people that "hiss" at us, and I wonder if they're not going through the same thing, I wonder if they're not hurt & scared as well.  It made me pause, this little turtle that delighted me (he's so cute & colorful) and moved my heart has lessons to teach me about people, I need to be aware that when they are cruel to me there may be reasons for their behavior…

God help me to see people through your eyes so that I can be compassionate despite their attitudes, actions, behavior…

2 comments:

  1. That sure makes sense It is much different trying to express compassion to humans who "hIss" at us. It is so hard not to take it personally. Feeling compassion must be an act of serving. I know you possess that for sure!
    I love you, Annette.
    Necie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Necie,
      Thank You for your sweet comments. But even more, Thank You for being such a beautiful example of compassion in our family!
      Love You Too!
      Annette

      Delete